Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spicy Crab Linguine

The combination of spicy chiles with mint was one I wouldn't have put together before, but it works beautifully in this crab pasta dish. The best part of this recipe is that you can make it in under 20 minutes, what takes the longest is for the water to boil!  I am a self-proclaimed expert crab cracker. It's almost therapeutic to sit with a glass of white wine, listening to great music and cracking crab.  Am I crazy or am I crazy?
I used one medium sized Dungeness (straight from the Oregon coast, of course) to serve two, which was more than enough. Following is my version of Bon Appetit's recipe.


Spicy Crab Linguine (serves two)


8 ounces linguine (I used fresh whole wheat- makes all the difference)
olive oil
minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 red jalapeƱos sliced into thin rounds
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 2 teaspoons lemon zest
8 ounces cooked, shelled crabmeat
tablespoons butter
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, julliened 


1. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.

2.  Pour 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and stir until just soft, 3–4 minutes. Add garlic and 1 chile and cook about 1 minute.

3. Add 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice and 3 Tbsp. pasta cooking liquid to shallot mixture; add a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute.

4. Transfer pasta to skillet and add 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, tossing pasta or stirring with tongs, until liquid is almost evaporated about 2 minutes. 

5. Add the butter, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. lemon zest, crab, half of mint. Stir pasta until butter melts.  If pasta looks dull, add olive oil until glossy. 

6. Divide between bowls; top with remaining 1 tsp. lemon zest and mint. Sprinkle with more lemon juice

3 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    PLEASE tell me where you get your fresh pasta! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastaworks! The closest location is in City Market on 21st and Johnson. I believe Zupans sells fresh pasta, too. It's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we were neighbors so that you could give me a lesson in cracking crab (and shucking oysters if you have that knack, too!). I would love to make a dish like this, but I am just so intimidated by the creature ... and canned crab is just NOT the same.

    ReplyDelete