Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy New Year!

Ok, I admit it, I really lagged on blogging for a while there.  But it was the holidays!  Everyone is busy! Cut me some slack.  Here's a quick update of what's been going on since October:

I spent Thanksgiving with Zephyr's dad & family in San Antonio.  The warm(er) weather was a nice escape, and we enjoyed touring the River Walk and Alamo.
 My favorite part was making kolache- his family's Eastern European tradition.  We made a healthy version, but his adorable grandmother begged the whole time for more butter in the dough.  We filled the dough squares with apricot, cherry, and nut mixtures.  I got his grandmother to hand write me the recipe so we can carry on the family tradition (the full-fat version of course, as his grandma insisted)!

Early December brought a visit to Atlanta for my cousin's wedding.  It was a blast.  I absolutely adore being around my birth dad's side of my family, and it meant so much to me that Zeph finally meet them.
Cousins, sans Geoff, with the bride (yes, I know I the bride and I look more alike than my sister and I!)

I headed "home" for Christmas to D.C. later in the month.  I did a ton of cooking, and was most proud of the dessert I made for Christmas day.  A sour cream white cake, layered with peppermint cheesecake, topped with white chocolate mousse frosting a la Southern Living Magazine.  I don't care how long I've lived on the West Coast, I am a true southerner at heart, and will never give up my Southern Living magazine!
A messy cutting job, but delicious!

The biggest surprise of Christmas was a family trip to the Bahamas on the 26th.  It was so great to relax in paradise!
Dad, Geoff and I at the Atlantis aquarium

View from our hotel, the historic British Colonial Hilton in downtown Nassau. So beautiful!

Sipping a Bahama Mamma in the sand isn't a bad way to end another great year.

Happy 2012! Recipes to come! 

3 comments:

  1. Where is the crab dip recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the recipe for that divine cake.....please. It looks decadent! Love your blog, just found it cuz your Mom sent a link. It was so great that we could see you and met Zeph at the wedding. Thank you both for coming. We did miss Geoff a lot. Love to hear about Portland. My mother in law was of Polish descent and we made cookies with the same fillings in the kolaches. They were either made with yeast dough or later cream cheese and rolled and cut with a decorative tool, filled and folded to the middle. Then baked and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. They melted in your mouth. I used to make them every Christmas...no time now. Keep up the blog and I will stay tuned. Love, Barr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi: Nancy has the crab dip recipe, not me. I'd love to get a hold of it though!

    Bar: The cake recipe is the same on Gail made for the vanilla bake off (great minds bake alike). You can view it here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/layered-peppermint-cheesecake-00420000008157/

    ReplyDelete