Friday, October 28, 2011

Newest Obsessions

This past week I've been on a pumpkin seed binge.  They're so simple to make and are a perfect healthy snack.  
To make mine, I thoroughly rinsed the seeds and let them dry overnight.  I added a little olive oil to them- not too much, you want them to be crisp, not soggy. Next I added salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, chipotle, and cayenne; you can use any combination of these.  Next, toss them with the kicker- tabasco sauce! Mix them up, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, shuffling the seeds around half way. They're spicy and smokey and I just can't step away.

My other obsession is Mama Lil's Kick Butt Peppers.  I first had these on a pizza at Apizza Scholls (the amazing Portland pizza joint featured on Travel channel's No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain episode "Pacific Northwest").  I immediately went out to buy them.  They're made locally in the Northwest, Seattle to be exact. I've found them at Whole Foods and specialty grocery stores so if you live outside the area you really have no excuse not to run out and buy these.  They're a little pricy- around $7 or $8 for a small jar, but totally worth it. 


You must try the "kick butt" variety.  I've tried Mama Lil's bread and butter pickles & peppers and they're nowhere as good as the spicy ones.  I put these on sandwiches, in omelettes, on pizza, bruschetta, pasta, hell i'd even put them in my cereal if it no one was watching.  These peppers are spicy, a little sweet, and the oil they're packed in is perfect for tossing pasta with.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them. GET THESE! 

1 comment:

  1. Weird! I literally just rinsed some butternut squash seeds to flavor them up exactly the way you described. Although i think I'm too much of a weenie for the hot sauce:)

    ReplyDelete