Monday, October 17, 2011

Butternut Squash and Kale Gnocci

Somehow, in the midst of Portland's change of seasons, I found myself in a place with practically one season, south Florida.  I had a business trip to the Ft. Lauderdale area last week.  The temperature didn't drop below a humid 90 degrees the whole week.  It was the type of weather where you rush from your car into the office, in hopes that your sweat doesn't embarrassingly soak through your nice new blazer.  Despite the heat, I loved walking around the little beach town where my hotel was.  The ocean water was crystal clear and practically the temperature of bath water.  There were some great restaurants too, including a trendy sushi bar I ate at called Buddha Sky Bar.  They had a "menage a trois" roll with spicy salmon and crispy salmon skin inside, and salmon sashimi outside- to die for!
View from my hotel

But back to the northwest... Don't you just love fall?  The leaves are starting to to brilliant colors here. Just take a look at the ugly Costco parking lot I found myself in the other day, somehow turned beautiful by the bright red leaves:
Fall means lots of yummy food.  I went out yesterday and stocked up on apple cider, pumpkin ice cream, and tons of cool weather fruits and veggies.  I particularly love squash, it is such a versatile food.  My farmer's market houses dozens of varieties, but one of the more common one you can find at grocery stores is butternut.

Butternut squash with kale and gnocci (serves 4)
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 a medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 Tbs dried sage
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups chicken broth (sub vegetable broth for vegetarian)
1 bunch of kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
1 package gnocci (generally they come in 17.5 oz packages) I used fresh, but packaged is ok, too.
1 cup parmesan

1.  Preheat your oven broiler.  Add olive oil to dutch oven or ovenproof skillet over medium heat.  Stir in onion and squash.  Cook until soft (about 8 minutes).
2.  Add the garlic, sage, pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.  Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
3.  Add the chicken broth.  When it starts to simmer, add kale and cook until wilted, 2 minutes.  Add the gnocci, stir, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Uncover and stir in 1/2 cup parmesan.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan, transfer to the oven and broil until bubbly and brown, 4 minutes.

This recipe is filling, healthy and SO quick!  It probably took me less than 1/2 an hour to make.  I've been trying to cook more vegetarian lately.  You will not miss the meat in this hearty dish!  Happy fall!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you! Homemaker!! I didnt even know!! love it! That gnocchi sounds delish!!!!!! GIRLS JUST BEING A GIRL

    ReplyDelete