Monday, June 20, 2011

Kitchen Essentials

It doesn't take rocket science to cook up something delicious from a seemingly empty fridge.  Aside from the staples (olive oil, eggs, milk, butter) there are a few key ingredients that I always keep on hand.  Stocked with these items, you can turn any ordinary chicken & rice (or whatever one's late night uninspired Wednesday evening dinner may be) into something delicious.

Greek Yogurt

I always keep this creamy staple in my fridge.  I prefer Fage (pronounced fah-yeh if you want to sound authentically greek!) 0% fat.  Don't be fooled by the 0%, this stuff still tastes sinful.  Instead of eating it plain, I use this yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.  It tastes almost identical and is full of protein and lower in calories than the real Mexican taco-topper.  Also, I use it as a mayonnaise substitute (with a squeeze of lemon to mimic the real mayo) in potato salads or on sandwiches.  Which brings us to our next staple...

Lemons
I can't tell you how many lemons I go through a week.  I use them in everything from homemade salad dressings to marinades to cocktails.  There's nothing like slices of lemon cooked atop fresh fish.  I'd go as far to say I use a lemon in the majority of things I cook.  Like salt and pepper, this citrus helps brighten up food by bringing out flavors and brings a natural acidity to any culinary concoction. 

Chicken Broth
I'd love to be one of those people who makes their own chicken broth, and maybe one day I will be, but for now I stick to the can.  I buy Swanson low sodium broth from Costco, where a 12 pack is much cheaper than your grocery store. I use it as a substitute for water in lots of dishes.  For example, try cooking rice or quinoa in chicken broth next time instead of water, the difference is astounding.

Siracha
In my opinion, there is no substitute for "Tuong ot Siracha" brand chili sauce.  The generic brand is nothing like the real deal found in the Asian section of supermarkets.  I use this very spicy sauce on top of my eggs in the morning, in stir frys, atop pizza, and even in Mac & Cheese.  In fact, I'm embarrassed to admit how many dishes I eat with Siracha.  If you love spicy food, this spicy condiment needs to hop into your grocery cart STAT!

Mustards
Have you ever wondered why there are dozens of different kinds of mustard and only one type of ketchup?  These are the things a foodie ponders when going to sleep at night.  Mustard is not only a sandwich spread, but can be used in a variety of kitchen creations.  I use it in sauces, marinades, and in dipping sauces.  I'm partial to Sierra Nevada brand (hell, I'm partial to anything Sierra Nevada makes as they're factory is in Chico, CA, the hometown of my alma mater!) but any gourmet mustard works.  I like to keep both stone ground and honey mustard in the fridge at all times, as different recipes call for different types of mustard.  


Well, I'm off to Las Vegas for a few days! I'm excited to try out new restaurants in the amazing food city in the desert (doesn't that seem ironic?)  Hopefully I'll have a little luck on the roulette table as well. Wish me luck and I'll have a Vegas update later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment