Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Macadamia nut crusted halibut with tropical salsa

I think I've been ignoring my blog lately because it takes me forever to write recipes. What takes me 20 minutes to cook might take two hours to put into words on my blog. I love reading recipes for inspiration, but will rarely follow them. Below is how I'll compose writing recipes going forward, simple, to the point, and written in a way that yields as many servings as you want it to. Like spicy? Use the whole habanero! Cooking for kids? Omit it all together. Trial and error is how I learned to cook, and the best way to take your training wheels off is to forget about measuring ingredients and get a feel for how much to use from past experience.

Can we talk about asparagus for a minute? Yum. I don't think there is anything vegetable that comes close to the deliciousness of asparagus in springtime. Asparagus season is short and sweet, so I'm trying to cook with it multiple times a week until the reserves run out at my farmers market. So so delish.
Note that if the halibut you find is too expensive (which it can be), salmon, mahi mahi, or tuna would work beautifully here.

The Fish:
Combine macadamia nuts in a food processor with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pulse.
Salt and pepper each side of the fish.  Brush egg white on top of fish, and press macadamia nut mixture into fish.
Sear each side for about 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat (cast iron works best here). Move to 400 degree oven for about 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillet.

The Salsa:
Mix together diced habanero pepper (or jalapeno) with red onion, pineapple, mango, lime juice, salt, pepper.

The Asparagus:
Coat with salt, pepper, olive oil. This will cook about 7 minutes in the oven at the same time the fish goes in.

The Rice:
Cook in broth, water, or maybe even coconut milk! Next time I'm going to try mixing the rice with chive pesto.

Top each plate with fluffy brown rice, then the salsa, fish, and lastly the asparagus. Prepare to be transported to a tropical paradise.  Best to serve this with a homemade mai tai, or crisp sauvignon blanc!


1 comment: