Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So long sweet summer

Wow it's been a little over a month since I posted!  You can't blame me, I was soaking up as much sun as I could in preparation for another 8 months of rain.  Let's catch up...
My brother Geoff paid me a visit in August.  I think the highlight for him was spending a day at the coast hiking and exploring.

Quads were burning at this point.

Finally made it down to the beach.  These rocks provided lots of little spaces for tide pools filled with starfish, crabs, and sea anemones. 

Last weekend I paid my good friend from college, Ana a visit in Boise.  She recently moved there for work, and I'd never been to Idaho before.  I was pleasantly surprised by what a cute little city it was.  We spent Saturday at the farmer's market, zoo, rose garden, and biking all day around the greenbelt and Boise river.  We had the most amazing sushi at Fujiyama, and afterwards toasted in her late birthday celebration with champagne.

 Salmon and tuna dragon roll- mouthwatering.

Beautiful Ana and I.  It was so nice to spend quality time with such a good friend!

Zephyr and I spent a weekend in Seattle recently, as we often do since as he has many relatives in the area.  We did the Seattle underground tour, which Zeph hadn't done since he was a kid.  Claustrophobic to say the least, but interesting nonetheless.  We ate at our favorite spot- Honeyhole Sandwiches.  If you're ever in Seattle, you MUST visit this funky sandwich joint.  As per tradition, we picked up the most amazing cheddar cheese from Beechers, and fresh salmon from Pike Place, which we placed on ice and took back to Portland. I love to kayak, and we spent a sunny day on Fox Island paddling around the reefs.  Then we walked around Gig Harbor browsing antique stores and gift shops, such a quaint little town!


I've also been cooking a ton, something you can't really help when EVERYTHING is in season at once at the farmers market!  Our tomato plant has been abundantly presenting us with rip red goodness every day.  Not only that, but Zephyr brought home over 20lbs of tomatoes from the farmers market while I was in Boise. Over TWENTY POUNDS!  Typical guys would buy a Xbox while their girlfriend is out of town, not when you're dating an aspiring chef!  We've spent the last few days roasting and roasting and stewing and stewing.  We'll have lots of tomato sauce in the freezer when this is all through!

Summer means heirlooms, and heirlooms mean delicious caprese with fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. 

Summer has been good to us.  But I am SO ready for fall.  Bring on the pumpkin lattes, butternut squash, and crisp air perfect for hikes in Forest Park and runs on the waterfront!

No comments:

Post a Comment