Monday, April 25, 2011

Here comes Peter Cottontail...

I love Easter. It means spring has finally sprung after a long winter of rain, rain, and MORE RAIN  Our farmer's market is overflowing with produce right now.  I attend the market every Saturday and was ecstatic to find asparagus this week! It has a short growing season and it's always best to buy it fresh and local as opposed to the standard grocery store asparagus from Mexico. Some of my farmer's market finds this weekend included radishes, carrots, chives, lamb chops, cauliflower, said asparagus, and rhubarb. Here's what I made with them for an Easter dinner:

Appetizer:
Crudites (carrots and radishes) with a creamy horseradish dip.
To make the dip I mixed mayo, greek yogurt, chives, fresh horseradish, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey mustard. This would be great as a sandwich spread, too!



Main:
Lamb chops served with a chive pesto
Grilled asparagus
Cauliflower au gratin



Dessert:
Rhubarb and raspberry crostata  (recipe by Bon Appetit http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/05/rhubarb-and-raspberry-crostata  )


HAPPY EASTER!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I need to be better about shopping at the Farmers' Market. The produce is so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Your Easter feast looks wonderful! I need to find a farmer's market here in Houston... I can't believe I haven't been out scouting yet! I'll report back if I find anything good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnea: this site is great for searching for local ones. My sister swore there was no farmers market near her and I found one walking distance from her house!
    http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/

    ReplyDelete