Thursday, May 5, 2011

Laurelhurst Market

I'd been wanting to go to Laurelhurst Market after reading about it in Bon Appetit last year as one of the 10 best new restaurants in the country.  A second recent article in Bon Appetit featuring a unique cocktail they pour prompted me to make a swift reservation! The space functions as both a butcher shop and restaurant, specializing in their steaks.

We started with the cocktail I'd read about in Bon Appetit called "Smoke Signals." It's made of Tennessee whiskey, sherry, pecan, lemon and SMOKED ice! What does that even mean? Well, somehow they manage to put ice in a smoker. It smelled and tasted JUST like it had been barbecued and really played with your senses. 

We started the food portion with some beef tartare. In a place that specializes in beef, this was a must. So delish! It was mixed with vodka, shallots, chives, and of course, a yolk. 

After this, we shared mussels & frites. The broth was AMAZING. They were Belgian style, with a broth of beer, stone ground mustard, and leeks.  I swear I could have drank it with a straw if it was more socially acceptable.
I forgot to take a picture of the mussels so here's a nice professional one I got from their website.

For the entree portion we skipped steak (we grilled filet mignon the night before at home) and went for chicken and fish instead. I got chicken "under a brick." It was sitting atop a nettle puree, with gnocchi, mushrooms, onions and truffle shaves on the side.

Zeph opted for the fish of the day, wild chinook atop creamy white beans and greens. The skin was so crunchy, perfect! The beans were a little too salty for my taste.


Laurelhurst Market has also been featured in Portland Monthly a few times for their burger, named one of the best in the city.  I'd love to go back here to try one of their famous steaks or a burger. Dinner here was a perfect end to the beautiful 73 degree spring day here!

Laurelhurst Market
3155 East Burnside Street. Portland, OR 97232

3 comments:

  1. Andrea proves that you don't have to be a queen to live like one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say... you two eat like royalty :o) I also love Bon Appetit magazine... I recognized your rhubarb gallette thingy! I was happy to see that in their most recent issue, they had an article on Houston :o) My adopted city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnea, Bon Appetit is my bible! I saw the article on Houston and I thought of you, it looks like they've got a great food scene there!

    ReplyDelete